These days, I get paid mostly for crafting words.
I’ve done narrative design and development, word creation and building, dialog writing, technical and copy editing, art direction and marketing, indexing, and more. I know how to lead, how to collaborate, and how to follow.
You don’t have to take my word for it. My clients include Paizo, Undead Labs, Wizards of the Coast, Fantasy Flight Games, Goodman Games, IDW Publishing, Nerdburger Games, Onyx Path Publishing, Schwalb Entertainment, and Sly Flourish, among others. At Wizards of the Coast, on staff and as a freelancer, I have been the go-to guy for adventure and monster design and development.
The following are the most recent projects NDAs allow me to reveal. A more complete list of my work can be downloaded here.
Starfinder RPG Supplements
I’m a developer on the Starfinder Roleplaying Game. My most recently released works include Starfinder Alien Archive 2 and Starfinder Adventure Path #13: Fire Starters, but I’ve had a hand in the line since December 2017. You can find Starfinder products on Paizo’s website.
State of Decay 2
Undead Labs hired me as part of a diverse group of writers to give voice to characters in the upcoming State of Decay 2 video game. Like its popular predecessor, State of Decay 2 is a zombie-survival shooter emphasizing community building and multiple playable characters. You can order it on amazon.
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Wizards of the Coast employed me to develop several of the deadliest dungeons in D&D history for use with the game’s fifth edition. The product page has a list of those adventure sites. Of those, I developed Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, and Tomb of Horrors. You can order it on amazon.
Volo’s Guide to Monsters
Wizards of the Coast asked me to update and design dozens of monsters for this upcoming release. The book’s product page mentions creatures I worked on, such as the froghemoth, neogi, orc, and vargouille. You can order it on amazon.
Scarred Lands Player’s Guide
Onyx Path Publishing brought me on to help with Scarred Lands Player’s Guide, a successfully kickstarted book compatible with Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition. I provided technical editing and conversion design on a significant portion of the game mechanics, and I consulted on the rest of the book. You can buy the PDF on DriveThruRPG.
I’m pursuing more design and writing for film and games.
- I’ve been a script consultant for Johannes Grenzfurthner on his films Glossary of Broken Dreams (released) and Tycho (awaiting funding).
- Illumination is a script proposal worked up for the Austrian Film Institute. The story derives from Mozart’s The Magic Flute.
- Triskele is a short interactive fiction piece I wrote with the help of my friend and editor, Cal Moore. It won an award (see Plaudits below). I did much of the writing and scripting on this story. It has three endings with several variations. If you like, you can download Triskele as a choose-your-own-adventure ebook for Kindle.
- Inner Light is a training mission script for a hypothetical urban-fantasy game. It serves as a sequel to Triskele, and it’s set in the same world. It nails down the identity of the protagonist and a side character in Triskele, which is something Triskele itself intentionally avoids.
- Dem Bones is a Borderlands 2 quest script I cooked up for Gearbox Software during interviewing for a writing position. Randy Varnell, the Creative Director for Battleborn, and Aaron Linde, then Lead Writer for Battleborn, both praised the voice and tone as a match for Borderlands 2 characters.
- Over Here is an exploration of life after death.
- Unblooded is a prequel to Skyrim, referencing a tragic story that can be discovered in the game near Ivarstead. I wrote this sample for Bethesda. Then I promptly fired up Skyrim and made the protagonist of this short tale.
My CV includes a list of awards for projects I worked on. The following are the most recent. Some of these publications received more awards than those shown here, but I limited the list to those relevant to my contributions.
Artist in Residence (MuseumsQuartier, Vienna, Austria; November)
Volo’s Guide to Monsters (Golden Geek for Best Supplement)
Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide; Judge’s Spotlight ENnie
Volo’s Guide to Monsters (New York Times Best Seller)
Wizards of the Coast; Gold ENnie for Best Publisher
D&D Player’s Handbook, fifth edition; New York Times Best Seller, Gold ENnies for Product of the Year, Best Game, and Best Rules; Silver ENnie for Best Writing; Origins Award for Best RPG, Origins Fan Favorite for Best RPG
D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, fifth edition; Gold ENnie for Best Supplement
D&D Monster Manual, fifth edition; New York Times Best Seller (August to November), Gold ENnie for Best Monster product; Origins Award for Best RPG Supplement, Origins Fan Favorite for Best RPG Supplement
D&D Starter Set, fifth edition; Gold ENnie for Best Family Game
D&D Basic Rules, fifth edition; Gold ENnies for Best Electronic Book and Best Free Product
Triskele; runner-up, Write a Game Challenge, IGDA Game Writing SIG
D&D Player’s Handbook, fifth edition (Origins Award for Best RPG, Origins Fan Favorite for Best RPG)